Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Balloonman




One of my major concentrations has been revolved around a character I created in 2006 called "The Balloonman." He's a mime who sells balloons in the park, he has a kind nature, and is a little slow. I still have to come up with more of a background for him, but in the meantime, I spend a lot of time doing watercolor paintings of him. I'm taking a watercolor class this semester and next semester, and I actually haven't tried painting him in watercolor since I began the class. Hopefully over Christmas break I'll have time to try and see how much improvement I've made. (Hopefully I've made some improvement.)

My inspiration for this character first came from the E. E. Cummings Poem In Just. The poem speaks of a balloonman and it's a pretty whimsical poem - which is what I wanted to achieve in the mood of my paintings. So I started off with my painting, To Catch a Ride On A Red Balloon. I was really happy with it and it was the first time I ever used the Parisian style of art. From then I created a painting of a single figure which later I named "The Balloonman." Since then I've done numerous paintings of him, and whenever I doodle, it's mainly of him. The one painting above with him reaching for the stars is my latest one of him. His appearance has changed over time, especially with the size of his hat. My old paintings of him used to be a lot more mellow and sad; he's usually a lot happier nowadays.

P.S. If you've noticed, one of his eyes is stitched up. I wanted him to be physically handicapped in some way, btu I still have no story as to why he only has one eye.

No comments: