Saturday, March 24, 2012


This was a quick digital drawing (with pen scanned in) of Granuaile (Grace O'Malley), the Pirate Queen of Ireland.  I was obsessed with her in high school and for my AP art class, all of my artwork that semester revolved around her or a modern day version of the queen.  She was a spirited soul who didn't let men order her around, and she supposedly smelled a lot. Just as a disclaimer, this is not the girl from Brave , the newest Pixar movie.  I guess they look alike, but this woman is real and I suggest you look her up.  I have been to 2 of her castles, and she is quite the lady. 

And by the way, the pin she is wearing means clarity.  It's a feminine celtic symbol.

I think I finished this in a day, and I realize that she looks very young, I just tend to make all of my characters very young looking, probably a thing to work on.

No comments: