Kathleen Joyce

My photo

Kathleen Joyce //   
I am a Chicago illustrator who works in pen, watercolor, and a format of a digital hybrid.. and most of my work consists of advertising, storyboards, and Children's illustrations.  My work is light-hearted and fun... please contact me for work opportunities or just comments!
My Website is kjoyce.net

Friday, March 19, 2010

Mona Distorted


Art can be therapy, and it can also cause distress.  Lately, I’ve been creating a lot of work that I’ve been unhappy with because it’s been overworked in a style that’s not even my own.  I’m trying to impress the teacher and the “invisible client” ... but I’m not impressing myself or creating anything that’s “me”.  I need to find my own style before I can start creating pieces that I’ll like and that people will like. 


     The fact is, I like working loose, not completely realistic, yet not abstract.  I like interesting, vibrant, dull, and monochromatic color schemes, penwork, lots of messy lines… and I love figures/ people - that aren’t completely realistic. From now on... I’m going to try to create things in school that are MY style... whatever that is. I know I’m not the only artist trying to find his or her unique style... we all deal with this inner struggle.                                            It’s quite a pain.   You go through this melodramatic artist in a crisis phase where you begin to doubt your own work and wonder if you should really be in art school.  I would consider this my style... and this made me happy.  I think the solution is pretty simple….

Anyways, this is based off of my watercolor still life of Mona, an armless manikin. 


No comments: